What does an orthodontic night guard treat?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
An orthodontic night guard is used to address issues relating to the TMJ (jaw joint), the muscles around the joint, and any parafunctional activities like clenching or grinding your teeth. A night guard will help protect the teeth and joint from clenching and grinding that may occur while someone is asleep, and not aware of the damage they are doing.

Even though you cannot stop someone from clenching or grinding their teeth at night, you can protect the teeth with a night guard.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...