What is an orthodontic night guard?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
An orthodontic night guard is a custom made appliance made of  hard plastic acrylic. It is typically 2-4 mm thick and is worn on the upper jaw. When worn it will help protect the teeth from any clenching and grinding. These "parafunctional" behaviors are usually done at night when patients are unaware of what their jaws are doing. The night guard will not stop these activities, but it will help prevent any damage to the teeth and jaw joint (TMJ).

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...