What does orthodontic cervical headgear treat?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Cervical headgear is used to treat maxillary prognathism, where the upper jaw is much more forward than the lower jaw. This is commonly referred to as an "overbite". Cervical headgear is an orthopedic appliance used to help pull back on the upper jaw (maxilla) and correct the "overbite". The cervical headgear is typically worn 10-14 hours per day and will provide a constant force pulling the upper jaw back, and or reducing its growth forward. As the upper jaw is held back, the lower jaw continues to grow forward and will thus reduce or correct the jaw relationship between upper and lower jaws. The appliance is usually used on younger patients that are still growing.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...