What type of material is a removable dental space maintainer made of?

A removable dental space maintainer is made of stainless steel and plastic, and looks much like a retainer. It includes artificial teeth or plastic blocks to keep space open in the mouth. Removable dental space maintainers are used when the open space is visible to others. They work best in older children who can follow directions and care for the devices properly.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is orthodontics?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the appearance, function, and alignment of t...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
The easiest thing to do is see an orthodontist. Many people do not realize that orthodontists do an ...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...