What should I know about a fixed retainer?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
A fixed retainer is typically placed (glued) on the inside surfaces of the lower front teeth. This type of retainer can be attached to the two canine teeth or to every tooth in the area. A fixed retainer is very efficient at maintaining the positions of the teeth in certain situations. If your orthodontist decides to place a fixed retainer, it will make cleaning between your teeth more difficult. Ask your orthodontist, dentist, and dental hygienist for tips and tricks to help you keep your teeth clean while wearing a fixed retainer. With proper care and regular visits to your general dentist, your fixed retainer can be left in place until lower jaw growth is completed (early adulthood) or indefinitely, as indicated.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...