What is a bonded dental retainer?

A bonded dental retainer is typically a piece of wire or fiber cord that is attached to some teeth to keep them from moving. It is commonly used after a person had braces to keep the teeth in their new position while their supporting structures -- the gums and jawbone -- finish resetting to the new position.

Other times it is used when teeth have become loose due to trauma or gum disease.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...