What is an orthodontist?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of training after college) and then received an additional training (usually 2 years) learning more and gaining more experience treating problems with bad alignment of the teeth and jaws. While general dentists recieve exposure to orthodontics in dental school, their experience is limite to very simple problems. An orthodontist receives advanced training and experience in complex diagnosis and treatment planning including early intervention and surgical correction of severe jaw discrepancies.

Orthodontics is a dental specialty. It includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correction of crooked teeth or misaligned bite. Getting braces is a common example. It can also include neuromuscular and skeletal abnormalities.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...