What do invisible (lingual) braces treat?

Invisible (lingual) braces, or metal brackets attached to the back of your teeth, treat spacing, bite, and alignment problems. A metal wire connected to the brackets puts pressure on your teeth to slowly correct crooked, widely-spaced, or crowded teeth.

Invisible braces also treat overbites (when top teeth extend too far over bottom), underbites (when bottom teeth stick out under top), and crossbites (when your bite is twisted). Invisible braces can also treat other jaw and bite problems.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Lingual (invisible) braces are capable of treating any malocclusion (crooked teeth) that regular braces can treat. They just do so with the braces glued on the inside. Example of problems they can correct include overbites, underbites, deep bites, open bites, crossbites, crowding, and crooked teeth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...