What injuries do mouth guards prevent?

The use of a good mouth guard can prevent oral injuries, protecting the area around the lips and the tissues inside the mouth from bruising or cuts. They are also used to prevent crown fractures and to protect the jaw from fractures or dislocations. Per the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), mouth guards work by "absorbing the energy imparted at the site of impact and by dissipating the remaining energy." (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...