What does orthodontic high pull headgear treat?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Hi pull headgear is used to restrict the growth of the upper jaw to reduce the amount of over bite or to intrude the upper teeth. If it is worn at night only, the mechanism is orthodpedic and the success is determined by the amount of growth. If it is worn full-time (18+ hours), it can actually move the teeth. Although not popular, it still works great!
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
High pull headgear is used in conjunction with braces that are attached to the molars. The high pull headgear is usually used to treat patients with large discrepancies between the upper and lower jaws. When the upper jaw is too far forward (producing a large overjet) in addition to being down too far (producing a slight openbite), the high pull headgear puts a force on the upper jaw that restricts its forward and downward growth. This, in turn, will reduce the overjet and improve the relationship between the upper and lower jaw. It works best in patients that are growing and when worn for at least 12 hours per day.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...