What can I expect if I am getting a retainer for my teeth?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
When a retainer is being recommended as part of someone’s treatment plan, it helps to know what to expect, such as a mold being made of your teeth. This is done through a process of using a thick liquid, called alginate, which makes a temporary mold of the teeth. That temporary mold is then used to make the retainer.

Retainers today have come a long way from the bigger pure metal ones of decades past. They can be customized to show your personality, including having colors and pictures on them, or they can be clear plastic so that they are less noticeable to others. Depending on who is getting the retainer and their age, there are many options to consider.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can I wear braces if I'm pregnant?
Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this disco...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...