What type of dentist provides Invisalign braces?

Orthodontists, dentists who are specially trained to treat misaligned teeth, can provide braces. Orthodontists who have received additional training in treating patients with the Invisalign system can provide Invisalign braces.
In most cases, an orthodontist is the most qualified person to provide Invisalign braces. However, general dentists and pediatric dentists may also provide this service.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Any licensed dentist can provide Invisalign just like any carpenter can buy a hammer. Invisalign is a tool that, used in the right hands, can produce beautiful results. The results obtained are dependent upon the training and experience of the clinician who uses the Invisalign system to diagnose, treatment plan, and design your aligners. Invisaling treatment is NOT the same in every office. Ask for references and examine before and after photos to make sure the doctor providing your treatment is qualified.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Invisalign is an appliance just like braces. Any licensed dentist can provide orthodontic treatment, including using braces or Invisalign. Usually, it would be best to start with an orthodontist. Orthodontists are specialists in moving teeth.  However, the doctor's ability to use Invisalign effectively depends upon their training and experience. There are many orthodontists that have training in effectively moving teeth, but may have little experience using Invisalign. The best person to see would be a local orthodontist that has extensive experience using Invisalign. You can find out if you are a good candidate for Invisalign and also find out how many cases he or she has treated with Invisalign.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
A dentist can conduct a routine examination of your mouth to tell if you need treatment for croo...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...