What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?

Miriam T. Furlong
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead to bad alignment of the teeth or bite.

You can also have things occur like tooth decay or baby teeth that are knocked out early that can cause your teeth or bite to be crooked. Certain habits like thumb sucking and an abnormal tongue posture can also affect the teeth and bite.

Patients often have a combination of different factors that cause their orthodontic problems.

Crooked teeth and misaligned bites are conditions that can be inherited from your parents. Other possible causes include:

• certain habits as a young child, including pacifier use past age 3, thumb sucking, and using a bottle for too many years
  • tumors in your mouth or within your jaw
  • losing either your baby teeth or permanent teeth too early in life
  • gum disease
  • facial injury that causes your jaw to become misaligned

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is an orthodontist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics is a dental specialty. It includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correct...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
The best way to know if you need braces is to have a consultation with an orthodontist. At your firs...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
The easiest thing to do is see an orthodontist. Many people do not realize that orthodontists do an ...