What are possible complications of getting a space maintainer?

Several potential complications of getting a dental space maintainer can occur -- all of which can be avoided. Children with dental space maintainers should not eat sticky foods and chewy candy or gum, since this can loosen the band or get caught in the space maintainer's wire. If the space maintainer comes loose, there is a possibility that the child could swallow it or inhale it into the lung. A space maintainer can also become loose if a child pushes on it with his or her tongue or fingers.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...