What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using clear plastic dental retainers to maintain the alignment of your teeth after your braces are removed.

Clear plastic retainers have become more popular due to their ease of use, enhanced esthetics, comfortable accurate fit, ability to be quickly produced in the orthodontic office, and the elimination of older retainer assembly methods (which can be potentially hazardous to the technicians that make them).

That being said, clear retainers do come with certain complications or limitations. Clear retainers can crack, chip, or break in the presence of heavy clenching or grinding forces. Replacement is recommended if the retainer breaks.  
In certain patients, covering the biting surfaces of the teeth 24 hours per day with a clear retainer might produce changes in the bite. For this reason, many orthodontists will recommend that you wear your clear plastic retainer only at night or for a limited period of time during the day. In other words, wearing the retainer for 8-12 hours during the day or night will maintain the alignment of your teeth and taking the clear retainer out for the remainder of the day will allow proper function and of your teeth and bite.

If you are concerned with how your specific bite might affect a clear plastic retainer, ask your orthodontic specialist if a clear plastic retainer is right for you. He or she might recommend a fixed retainer on the inside of your teeth or a combination of clear retainers, Hawley retainers, tooth positioners, night guards or other methods to maintain the alignment of your teeth and bite.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
What is an orthodontist?
Orthodontics is a dental specialty. It includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correct...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...