What does a clear plastic dental retainer treat?

Clear plastic dental retainers can treat a number of problems with the teeth, but the most common reason to use one is to keep teeth in alignment after having your braces removed. If braces are not needed, a retainer can be used to treat a gap in the teeth, a speech problem, or other medical problems as determined by your orthodontist.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...