What should my child think about if they want clear braces?

Children considering clear plastic braces -- either brackets or aligners -- should think about the advantages and disadvantages. The primary advantage of clear brackets compared to traditional braces is that they are less noticeable. A advantage of clear plastic aligners is that they can be removed for eating or cleaning. The disadvantage of clear plastic aligners is that they don't work for the most severe kinds of problems, and some research suggests they don't work as well on most problems. Clear ceramic or plastic brackets can be used for severe problems, but they are more brittle than metal brackets, so they break more often. Because there is more friction on the wires connecting them, it may take them longer to move teeth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...