What are the benefits of getting a wire dental retainer?

A wire dental retainer keeps your teeth in place after your braces do the hard work of moving the teeth into the correct alignment. The retainer is used in the “retention” phase of treatment, much like a retaining wall holds back the earth behind it. Teeth are forced to move to a new position during the “active” phase of treatment (braces), and may shift back to the prior, incorrect alignment without a retainer to keep them in place.

A wire dental retainer is permanent. You don't have to take it out and risk losing it.  As long as you keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy, and the wire doesn’t come loose, there’s no need to remove the retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontic treatment is not necessary for everyone. The purpose of orthodontic treatment is to crea...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Treatment that begins while a child is growing helps produce optimal results. Since abnormal bites u...