What are the benefits of getting a removable dental space maintainer?

The main benefit of a dental space maintainer is that it helps keep space open until a permanent tooth comes in, after a baby tooth is lost prematurely. Baby teeth act as guides for the permanent teeth that replace them. If a baby tooth is lost too soon, the permanent tooth loses its guide, and may drift or erupt in the wrong position in the mouth. Neighboring teeth also may be affected. A dental space maintainer can save a child from having to endure complicated orthodontic work later in life.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
What are the benefits of braces?
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...