What are the benefits of getting a bonded dental retainer?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
The benefits of getting a bonded dental retainer can be categorized into two major areas. First, from a functional benefit, a dental bonded retainer can prevent unwanted shifting or crowding of teeth. Acting as a "bridge" between the teeth, the dental bonded retainer will hold the alignment and space available for the teeth. In situations where bone loss has occurred and teeth are mobile, a dental bonded retainer can act as a "splint" or support framework for a tooth or groups of teeth.

Second, the esthetic benefit of a dental bonded retainer (as opposed to a wire removable or Hawley-type retainer) is important for patients who want to maintain a straight smile without any visible metal wire or plastic retainer. Because the dental bonded retainer is placed on the inside surface of your teeth, it is the most-esthetic option for maintaining the alignment of your teeth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...