What are the alternatives to getting a wire dental retainer?

After getting your braces removed, you’ll want to make sure your teeth don’t shift back to their previous position. A retainer is useful for this “retention” phase of treatment. Alternatives to a wire dental retainer include the common Hawley-type retainer, a piece of plastic usually molded to the roof of the mouth. It has wires attached to the plastic, and it stays in place with wires going over the front of your teeth. This type of retainer is removable and is usually worn 12 to 24 hours a day. Another option is a clear plastic retainer that covers the teeth, called a “vacuform” or Essix-type retainer, which is also removable.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...