What are the alternatives to getting invisible (lingual) braces?

There are several alternatives to getting invisible, or lingual braces, which is a type of fixed braces. Invisible braces are metal brackets, much like traditional metal braces, only they’re placed on the back side of the teeth. You can’t see these braces when you smile. Another option for fixed braces is traditional metal braces. Metal braces have brackets fixed to the front of your teeth, along with a wire connecting them. Some orthodontists use other materials instead of metal for the brackets, such as plastic or ceramic. The last fixed braces option is a traditional band. Instead of gluing a small bracket to your teeth, the orthodontist fixes a larger metal band that wraps around each tooth, with a bracket in front. These are easier to see and a little bulkier to wear.

In addition to fixed braces, there are removable braces. Two popular brands are Invisalign and ClearCorrect. These braces are also known as aligners. They use a series of clear plastic trays molded to the shape of your teeth. Every few weeks you change the aligner tray, as your teeth gradually move to a new position. These braces are not attached to your teeth, and you remove the trays for eating and cleaning.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...