What are the alternatives to getting a removable dental space maintainer?

There are several alternatives to  a dental space maintainer. If one of a child's four upper front teeth is lost at an early age, the dentist may choose to do nothing, since the space will stay open on its own until the permanent tooth comes in. The dentist may also choose to do nothing if the permanent tooth is about to come in. If a child is missing several teeth, a partial denture may be used instead of a space maintainer. This is often done for children with ectodermal dysplasia, a congenital disease where there are no permanent teeth to replace some baby teeth. Children with this condition can wear partial dentures into adulthood, and then opt for dental implants or bridges to replace their missing teeth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...