What are the alternatives to getting Invisalign braces?

There are several alternatives to getting Invisalign braces. Invisalign braces are also known as aligners. They use a series of clear plastic trays molded to the shape of your teeth. Every few weeks you change the Invisalign aligner tray, as your teeth gradually move to a new position. ClearCorrect is one alternative to Invisalign braces. It's a very similar product and also uses aligner trays. Both of these are considered removable braces, since they are not attached to your teeth and you remove the trays for eating and cleaning.

The other option is fixed braces. This type takes several forms. Traditional metal braces have brackets attached to the front of your teeth, along with a wire connecting them. Some orthodontists use other materials instead of metal for the brackets, such as plastic or ceramic. Another type of fixed braces are invisible, or lingual, braces. These are metal brackets, much like traditional metal braces, only they’re placed on the back side of your teeth, so they can't be seen when you smile. Another type of fixed braces are a traditional band. Instead of gluing a small bracket to your teeth, the orthodontist attaches a larger band that wraps around each tooth, with a bracket in front. These are easier to see and a little bulkier to wear.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

The primary reason patients want Invisalign rather than conventional braces is because aligners are not as visible. Unfortunately, not all patients are candidates for clear aligners due to the difficulty of their problems. There are two alternatives to Invisalign for patients who want straight teeth but don't want metal braces. The first is clear braces on the outside of the teeth. Although the wires are still visible, the brackets are tooth colored and much less visible. The second option is lingual braces. Lingual, or invisible braces, are mounted on the insides of the teeth so that they aren't visible from the outside. Not only are they less noticeable than Invisalign, they can do a better job because they are really braces. To get an honest opinion about your particular case, find an orthodontist who offers all three options. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...