What are the alternatives to getting metal braces?

There are several alternatives to getting metal braces. Metal braces are traditional braces in which brackets are placed on the front of your teeth. These brackets are fixed, or glued on, and have a wire attaching them. Some orthodontists use other materials instead of metal for the brackets, such as plastic or ceramic. Another option for fixed braces is lingual braces, also known as invisible braces. These also use metal brackets, much like traditional metal braces, only they’re placed on the back of your teeth and can't be seen when you smile. The last fixed braces option is a traditional band. Instead of gluing a small bracket to your teeth, the orthodontist fixes a larger metal band that wraps around each tooth, with a bracket in front. These are easier to see and a little bulkier to wear.

In addition to fixed braces, there are removable braces. Two popular brands are Invisalign and ClearCorrect. These braces are also known as aligners. They use a series of clear plastic trays molded to the shape of your teeth. Every few weeks you change the aligner tray, as your teeth gradually move to a new position. These braces are not attached to your teeth, and you remove the trays for eating and cleaning.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can I wear braces if I'm pregnant?
Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this disco...
Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...