What are the alternatives to getting clear braces?

If clear braces (ceramic or plastic brackets or clear plastic aligners) are not your choice, you have several alternatives. The most common alternative is traditional metal braces that align and straighten even the most severely crooked teeth and bite problems. Depending on how much your teeth need to be moved, you may benefit from expanders that widen the arch of your mouth, or removable space maintainers that creates gaps between teeth. Talk to your orthodontist, a dentist who treats teeth irregularities and misalignments, about your treatment options.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...