At what age can my child get a wire dental retainer?

If your child is old enough to have had braces, your child is old enough to have a wire dental retainer. The advantage of the wire dental retainer is that it cannot get lost -- unlike other types of removable retainers -- as the wire retainer is glued behind the teeth and is permanent. Make sure your child knows how to brush his teeth and floss properly, so the wire doesn’t trap food and debris, and plaque doesn’t build up, which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...