Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?

Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces can be placed on the inside of the teeth although the results may take longer and some people may find this uncomfortable. Another possible alternative is to try a system of clear trays called Invisalign. I suggest you ask your orthodontist about possible alternatives to traditional braces.
There are alternatives to wearing braces on the outside of your teeth. Some people are self-conscious about wearing braces. So orthodontists have invented braces to wear on the inside of the teeth, called "lingual braces," or iBraces. There are also invisible braces that use plastic trays that are custom-fit to your teeth, called Invisalign. These may be more expensive than traditional metal brackets. Talk to your orthodontist about the option best for you.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Orthodontic treatment is important for several reasons. Alignment of the teeth and jaws can prevent ...
How do braces and retainers work?
Straightening your teeth can be accomplished in different ways. The kind of orthodontic treatment yo...