What type of mouth guard is best?

A mouth guard protects the teeth and jaw of athletes who might sustain an impact to the head or face while playing sports. While there is no question that a custom made mouth guard will fit better and be more comfortable, a pre-made mouth guard may work for some people. The mouthguard must be protective, comfortable, resilient, tear resistant, odorless, tasteless, not bulky, cause minimal interference to speaking and breathing, and have excellent retention, fit, and sufficient thickness in critical areas.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...