Is orthodontic treatment necessary?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care for, and wear more evenly. A free consultation with an orthodontist is the best way for you to know if you would benefit from treatment.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontic treatment can be very beneficial for a number of reasons. Correcting the alignment of the teeth and the bite can have significant long term benefits. The cleansibility of the teeth, the long term wear, the function, the periodontal status, and of course, the esthetics can all be improved with orthodontic treatment. In most cases, the treatment is elective, however, in some cases the treatment is necessary before major dental work is started. Orthodontic treatment can prepare the teeth for restorations by the dentist that may not have been possible before orthodontic treatment.
More often than not orthodontic treatments are completely optional. They can be used to fix irregular bites, improve your smile, and even get rid of some speech impediments. However, most of these conditions aren’t life threatening, and you can live with them if you choose to. For many people, orthodontic treatment helps them feel better about the way they look and increases their self-esteem. It can also help improve oral hygiene by making it easier to effectively clean your teeth. Unfortunately, orthodontic treatments tend to be expensive and not everyone can afford them, but many orthodontists offer payment plans to help spread out the cost of the procedures. If you are interested in orthodontics, talk to your dentist or consult your local orthodontist for more information.
Orthodontic treatment is not necessary for everyone. The purpose of orthodontic treatment is to create a healthy bite -- straight teeth that properly meet opposing teeth in the opposite jaw. A good bite makes it easier for you to bite, chew and speak.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...