How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?

Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It is best to avoid these objects to protect braces. After all, they are doing a special job straightening your teeth 24 hours a day. Avoiding sticky and chewy foods can help make your braces easier to clean. Healthy, clean teeth respond better and move more quickly than unclean teeth. So do your best to brush thoroughly with a fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day, and don't forget to floss daily.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...