How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?

Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It is best to avoid these objects to protect braces. After all, they are doing a special job straightening your teeth 24 hours a day. Avoiding sticky and chewy foods can help make your braces easier to clean. Healthy, clean teeth respond better and move more quickly than unclean teeth. So do your best to brush thoroughly with a fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day, and don't forget to floss daily.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Keeping your teeth clean with braces can be difficult. The best tools to use are still a toothbrush ...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Orthodontics is the specialty in dentistry that is involved in aligning the teeth in a proper relati...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...