What are space maintainers made of?

A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon, is made of plastic or metal after an impression is made of your teeth. The maintainer itself is anchored by the closest teeth and is usually cemented in place close to the gum line. Some space maintainers are removable for easy cleaning. But removable ones may also be lost. Talk to your dentist or orthodontist about what kind of space maintainer is best for you or your child.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...