What are space maintainers made of?

A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon, is made of plastic or metal after an impression is made of your teeth. The maintainer itself is anchored by the closest teeth and is usually cemented in place close to the gum line. Some space maintainers are removable for easy cleaning. But removable ones may also be lost. Talk to your dentist or orthodontist about what kind of space maintainer is best for you or your child.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Many people inherit the way their teeth look from their parents, or grandparents, but there can be o...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
Are braces magnetized?
Braces are not magnetized. They are usually made of stainless steel or porcelain composite. There ha...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that all children be screened by an orthodontis...