When shopping for braces, what should I ask?

There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the following:

• Ask about the orthodontist's training, credentials, board certification, and experience in practice
  • Test your orthodontist's knowledge about dentistry by asking why treatment plans are different between people
  • Ask about what tools and brackets the orthodontist prefers and why
  • Ask why braces costs so much, and have him or her break down what the costs are for visits, pictures, X-rays and other diagnostic tools, equipment, staff, and so on. Ask about treatment plans and if you can pay in installments.
  • Ask about sanitation and risk of infection. Ask if they have had any infections in their office.
  • Ask if they reuse products.
  • Ask if the orthodontist is involved in continuing education.
  • Ask if the orthodontist is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

I think the most important questions you can ask are these three:

1. What does the orthodontist propose? (Diagnosis, treatment plan, options, length of treatment, etc.,)
  2. If the fee is more or less than another office, why? (Different treatment plans, more or less is included, etc.)
  3. Who does your dentist trust to treat his family?
With the answers to these three questions, you'll be on your way to making an educated decision about who will provide your braces.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...