If I wear braces, do I need to take special care to prevent gum recession?

Your braces are helping to correct the alignment issues of your teeth and  require proper care. Brush and floss regularly, and avoid foods and activities that can damage your braces. Special equipment may be required to clean between your teeth and braces. Have them checked regularly. All of these steps can help prevent gum recession.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
A dentist can conduct a routine examination of your mouth to tell if you need treatment for croo...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...