What is orthodontics?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and the occlusion (bite). Orthodontics uses different appliances to move the teeth and modify the growth of the jaws to establish a proper bite and proper alignment of the teeth. Proper alignment and a proper bite can improve the function of the teeth, the cleansibility, and ultimately, the longevity of the teeth. In addition, it can make for a better looking smile.
Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontics is the specialty of dentistry devoted to building beautiful smiles by bringing teeth, lips, and jaws into proper alignment. Straight teeth function better, are easier to clean, and are more likely to last your lifetime. Properly aligned jaws may reduce the risk of jaw joint dysfunction (TMJ).

The practice of orthodontics involves the use of appliances to move teeth and modify growth of the jaws.
Kimberly Harms
Dentist
Orthodontics is a specialty area of dentistry that is officially known as Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. The purpose of orthodontics is to treat malocclusion (a "bad bite", which involves teeth that are crowded or crooked) through braces, corrective procedures and other "appliances" to straighten teeth and correct jaw alignment. An orthodontist is a dentist who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental and facial irregularities.

If you want straighter teeth, your dentist may refer you to an orthodontist. Watch as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains what an orthodontist does to help your smile.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the appearance, function, and alignment of the teeth and jaws. "Coined" in 1900 by Dr. Edward Angle, it is dentistry's oldest specialty.
Orthodontics is a specialized branch of dentistry that focuses on the alignment of your teeth. Many people suffer from a malocclusion, which simply means that their teeth are out of alignment. If your teeth overlap of if they are unevenly space, you have a malocclusion. The same is true if your upper and lower teeth do not fit together the way they are supposed to. Orthodontics can be used to correct these imperfections. This is generally done using braces and retainers. Young children may also need the aid of a functional appliance to make sure their jaw develops correctly. Orthodontic care is generally provided by an orthodontist and can be costly depending upon the extent of your malocclusion.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...