How will getting a wire dental retainer affect the appearance of my teeth?

Unlike braces, which are often visible on the front of your teeth, a wire dental retainer is usually glued behind your teeth where you can’t see it. The wire dental retainer keeps your teeth in place after your braces do the hard work of moving the teeth into the correct alignment. The retainer is used in the “retention” phase of treatment, much like a retaining wall holds back the earth behind it. Teeth are forced to move to a new position during the “active” phase of treatment (braces), and may shift back to the prior, incorrect alignment without a retainer to keep them in place. The retainer gives you the advantage of maintaining your new teeth position without any metal showing.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Orthodontics is the specialty in dentistry that is involved in aligning the teeth in a proper relati...