How common is a wire dental retainer in teens?

While there are no statistics for how many teenagers wear a wire dental retainer, it is just one method of keeping the teeth in correct alignment after braces are removed. A wire dental retainer is glued onto the lingual side of the teeth, or the side closest to the tongue. This type of retainer is fixed to your teeth and is permanent.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...