How will I know if getting a wire dental retainer was successful?

You will know if a wire dental retainer was successful if your teeth stay in the correct alignment. Some orthodontists tell patients to leave their wire dental retainers on for a few years, while some see no reason to have their patients ever take them out. Teeth can shift at any age, so if you’re able to keep your teeth clean and healthy with the wire retainer in place, you may want to consider leaving the wire dental retainer in your mouth permanently.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...