How common is a wire dental retainer in children?

While there are no statistics for how many children wear a wire dental retainer, this is just one method to keep teeth in correct alignment after removing braces. A wire dental retainer is glued onto the lingual side of the teeth, or the side closest to the tongue. This type of retainer is fixed to your teeth and is permanent.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...