How often do I need to wear a clear plastic dental retainer?

Your orthodontist will tell you how often you need to wear a clear plastic dental retainer. In general, dental retainers are worn all day and night for the first three to nine months. After that, you may only need to wear your retainer at night when you are sleeping.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
Are braces affordable?
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...