How is orthodontic reverse pull headgear fitted?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Reverse pull headgear, also known as a "facemask", is a semi-custom appliance. This appliance is pre-made and is adjusted to fit on the patients face. The appliance has pads that can usually be adjusted to fit comfortably on the forehead and chin by moving them either up or down. In addition, there is a bar in the middle where there are elastics placed. The bar can also be moved up or down is usually placed near the bottom of the front teeth. The appliance is worn by attaching elastics from the bar to a splint, or braces, attached to the upper jaw. The elastics provide the traction to pull the upper jaw forward and modify the growth of the upper jaw. The size of the elastic used is usually around 6 ounces per side. Together, both elastics place a 12 ounce force on the upper jaw to grow forward.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...