How common is orthodontic reverse pull headgear in adults?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontic reverse pull headgear is used very rarely, if at all, in adults. This type of appliance is mainly focused on accelerating the forward growth of the upper jaw. This will help correct a jaw discrepancy where the lower jaw has grown out farther than the upper jaw, creating an "underbite".

Since adults are no longer growing, the appliance will have very little, if any, effect on correcting a jaw discrepancy.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...