How long does getting a removable dental space maintainer fitting take?

Getting a dental space maintainer usually takes at least two office visits. The dentist usually starts by making impressions of your child’s teeth, since every space maintainer is custom-made. A lab then creates the space maintainer and sends it back to your child’s dentist. In some cases, however, a space maintainer can be made in the dental office without impressions in a single visit.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can I wear braces if I'm pregnant?
Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this disco...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...