How is a removable dental space maintainer fitted?

A dental space maintainer is custom made and fitted by your child’s dentist or orthodontist. First, a metal band is placed around one of the teeth next to the empty space. Using a soft gel, the dentist makes impressions of the teeth, which allows the laboratory to make a copy of the teeth when creating the space maintainer. The band is removed and sent along to the lab, too. The lab makes the space maintainer and sends it back to the dentist. The dentist then cements it into place in your child’s mouth.

For a removable space maintainer, the dentist will also make impressions, which are sent to a lab. The appliance is made at the lab and sent back to the dentist for placement in your child's mouth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
An orthodontist goes through 2-3 years of additional training after dental school to become a specia...
What is orthodontics?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the appearance, function, and alignment of t...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...