How is a removable dental space maintainer fitted?

A dental space maintainer is custom made and fitted by your child’s dentist or orthodontist. First, a metal band is placed around one of the teeth next to the empty space. Using a soft gel, the dentist makes impressions of the teeth, which allows the laboratory to make a copy of the teeth when creating the space maintainer. The band is removed and sent along to the lab, too. The lab makes the space maintainer and sends it back to the dentist. The dentist then cements it into place in your child’s mouth.

For a removable space maintainer, the dentist will also make impressions, which are sent to a lab. The appliance is made at the lab and sent back to the dentist for placement in your child's mouth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...