How long is a removable dental space maintainer effective?

A dental space maintainer should remain effective until the permanent tooth is ready to erupt and fill the empty space. Your child’s dentist will track the permanent tooth with regular x-rays to determine when the space maintainer should be removed. In cases where there is no permanent tooth waiting to erupt, a dental implant or bridge can replace the space maintainer when the child is finished growing, which is generally around age 16 to 18.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...