How can I reduce complications after my child gets metal braces?

You can reduce complications after your child gets metal braces by keeping his gums and teeth clean. Make sure your child brushes his teeth twice a day and flosses daily. Your child should not eat sticky and chewy foods such as gum and candy that can damage his metal braces. Sugary foods such as soft drinks can leave sugar around your child's metal braces, so they should be avoided.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...