How can I reduce complications after my child gets clear braces?

You can reduce complications after your child gets clear braces by making sure that he takes good care of his mouth and his braces. Your child should brush his teeth with a soft toothbrush twice a day to remove food particles trapped between teeth and ceramic or plastic brackets. He should use a fluoride rinse and visit the dentist regularly for cleanings. It's also important that your child avoid eating sticky, chewy, or hard foods like candy, which can damage the clear braces. Sugary foods such as soft drinks should also be avoided because they can wear down tooth enamel.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...