How can I prepare for getting a wire dental retainer?

A  wire dental retainer is made from a metal wire glued onto the teeth to keep them in place after your braces are removed. Your orthodontist might recommend that you receive a professional teeth cleaning after your braces come off, or he or she may clean the affected teeth for you. Clean teeth are important when applying the wire and cement; not only can plaque trapped under the cement cause tooth decay, but the teeth need to be clean for the cement to stick properly.

Ask your orthodontist or dentist for specific instructions on how best to  prepare for getting a wire dental retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...