How can I control pain related to a clear plastic dental retainer?

Pain from using a clear plastic dental retainer should be minimal. A retainer may take some getting used to, and you may experience some soreness at first, which is normal. If after a few days of wearing it your retainer is causing you pain, rubbing against your gums, or giving you cuts in your mouth, see your orthodontist for an adjustment.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
One advantage of braces is that it creates a good bite, which helps with overall function of your mo...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Generally, three or more years of undergraduate education plus four years of dental school is requir...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
The best way to know if you need braces is to have a consultation with an orthodontist. At your firs...