How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

An orthodontist goes through 2-3 years of additional training after dental school to become a specialist in moving and straightening teeth. Orthodontists learn all of the different complexities and limitations of straightening teeth. Every year they learn new and different techniques to address different and unique problems that patients may present with. If you are interested in straightening your teeth you can ask your dentist for a referral or find a local orthodontist yourself.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has additional training in diagnosing and treating problems with the smile and bite. He uses a variety of tools ranging from braces to surgery to correct overbites, underbites, crossbites, deepbites, openbites, and crowded, crooked teeth. You may contact an orthodontist directly if you think your teeth are crooked or your bite is off. You may also be referred there by your family dentist.
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct jaw alignment.

You may be familiar with traditional braces. Usually made of metal, these braces can now be only as noticeable as you want. Brackets, the part of the braces that attach to each tooth, are smaller and can sometimes be attached to the back of the tooth to make them less noticeable. Brackets can be made of metal, ceramic, plastic, or a combination of these materials. Some brackets are clear or tooth colored.

Another type of orthodontic treatment uses a series of clear, removable aligners to move your teeth over time. These aligners are more discreet than traditional braces. Prices and the length of treatment are different depending on what you choose. Aligners are not suitable for every patient; talk to your dentist about the right choice for you.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...
What is orthodontics?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the appearance, function, and alignment of t...
Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Orthodontists are specialists who have additional training and experience in straightening teeth. Ge...
How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Brushing is definitely a challenge with braces, and most of the time, it is not enough to rid of the...